update


Man accused of killing five year old remains behind bars

SAD LOSS: Community and family mourns the loss of a five-year-old in Bellavista. *Photo: Facebook.

TRAGEDY struck when a five-year-old boy died in his aunt’s arms while on his way to a hospital on August 31 after he was allegedly beaten by his father.

A memorial service was held for the five-year-old on September 6 in Bellavista where family, community members and ward councillors came to pay their final respects.

A murder docket was opened by Booysens police and the father was arrested in Chrisville.

The father remained in police custody following his court appearance.

Booysens police were called to the scene by a family member on the night of the boy’s senseless death.

According to a report from the Glenvista Community Policing Forum (CPF), the boy was unconscious at some point during the night.

Also Read: Five year old dies after alleged parental abuse

The CPF confirmed the boy’s aunt rushed him to the South Rand Hospital.

It is also alleged that the boy had cigarette burns on his body.

Booysens police spokesperson, Capt Lorrain van Emmerik warned against false reports about the incident circulating on social media.

She said the 53-year-old man was in custody awaiting another court appearance on October 4.

Van Emmerik said statements would be taken from various parties and verified before the accused’s next court appearance.

She said the suspect had appeared before a magistrate and had not pleaded.

TRAGIC: Ward 55 Clr Rashida Landis (left) alongside some community and family members at the memorial. *Photo: Facebook.

Ishaam Khan, a former rehabilitation center friend of the accused said cigarette burns were found on the body of the boy. Khan said there was a deeper demon among this which was drugs and substance abuse. He told the COURIER that he had been in a rehabilitation center with the accused.

He mentioned the memorial service was very emotional and the boy’s funeral would be this week, probably closer to the weekend.

He added the focus of the memorial service was also to devise systems to combat substance abuse.

He mentioned that the centre provided a six months recovery plan and the accused left the centre after only three months.

He mentioned that previously a complaint was lodged against the accused for abuse related matters.

Khan added the accused also had a three-year-old daughter with a different mother.

For free daily local news in the south, visit our sister newspapers Alberton RecordComaro ChronicleSouthern Courier and Get it Joburg South Magazine.

Remember to visit our FacebookTwitter and Instagram pages. You can also email our offices on [email protected][email protected] or [email protected]

Add us on WhatsApp today! Comaro Chronicle: 079 427 8074 and Southern Courier: 079 404 5789.

  AUTHOR
Gopolang Chawane

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top