The state does not have a case, says the legal representation of a man accused of being complicit in two cases of property hijackings.
January 12 marks the third court appearance for a bail hearing where the city of Johannesburg is opposing bail against three men linked to a number of properties alleged to have been hijacked.
Three men, Jonathan Constable, Bongani Kathide and Kingsley Okwebe, first appeared at the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on January 10.
Their bail application has, for the previous two days, lacked valued information by the prosecutor, leading to court proceedings moved to Thursday and Friday.
Hijacking accused Lawyer Dumisani Mabunda said he was confident the state did not have a case.
“There is no charge for building hijacking.”
He said the state had so far failed to prove that his client had committed a crime.
Constable was frustrated on Thursday after the state adjourned in order for documentation, proving he and his co-accused had a place to stay, were requested.
The state and the applicants are at a stalemate as the prosecution is yet to produce a charge sheet and Constable is still to prove the authenticity of his union, the National Immigrants Council of South Africa (Nicsa).
Mayor Mashaba on Twitter said he prayed the courts would make a determination on Friday on the matter.
“Property highjacking delays and risks the provision of affordable housing for our people,” he wrote.
The matter continues on its third day on January 12 with the possibility of a verdict.
Add us on WhatsApp today! Comaro Chronicle: 079 427 8074 and Southern Courier: 079 404 5789.