COURIER recently reported on the robbery and murder of a man at his home in a security complex in the middle of the day.
It just goes to show that they have become so used to literally getting away with murder that they will strike anywhere and anytime.
Here are some tips on how to keep you and your home safe if or when the unthinkable happens:
- Try to mix up your routine so there is no discernable pattern. Criminals look for routines of victims that they can exploit and plan their crimes;
- Do a trial break in at your own house. Try to spot any weaknesses in your security and plug those proverbial holes;
- Make sure all doors and windows are securely locked;
- If you’re going out, leave lights on;
- Don’t let mail pile up if you’re away and make sure your lawn is cut properly etc;
- Don’t be complacent, we don’t have the luxury of NOT needing to be vigilant in this country, so always be aware of your surroundings and have a healthy suspicion of everyone;
- Don’t tempt the criminals by leaving out valuable items in plain sight;
- When you arrive home, don’t pull into your driveway while waiting for your gate to open so you can be blocked in by criminals. Stay in the street until the gate is open and drive in;
- If you think a car may be following you, don’t stop at your house, drive around the block to see if the vehicle continues to follow you.
Be vigilant and stay safe.
Add us on WhatsApp today! Comaro Chronicle: 079 427 8074 and Southern Courier: 079 404 5789.